The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are four unholy, supernatural entities, initially summoned by Moloch, so as to bring about the Apocalypse. They are partially represented by Four White Trees and were written in the Book of Revelations, representing conquest, war, famine and death, riding atop horses that were black, red, pale and white, respectively. All four have appeared in the dream sequence of Ichabod Crane where he is tasked by his wife, Katrina Crane, to stop them from bringing about the Apocalypse. Towards the end of the first season, it has been revealed that each of the Horsemen were once mortal men that have sold their souls over to Moloch, who remade them into what they currently are. Excluding Death, the other three Horsemen still possess their heads, and by the time of the Season One finale, only Death and War have made full appearances (the Horseman of Conquest only appeared in the first season episode John Doe and wasn't seen afterward and Famine hasn't been encountered yet). It appears that all the Horsemen have some control of heating their weapons, as Death can heat his broadax enough to cauterize wounds and War can ignite his sword. However, this may only be limited to bladed weapons.
Malcolm Dreyfuss had plans to assemble his own Horsemen of the Apocalypse, having chosen Logan MacDonald and Helen Donovan as the new Horsemen of Pestilence and Famine, respectively, and with Abraham Van Brunt and Henry Parish taking back the positions of Horsemen of Death and War. In a discarded alternate timeline, Diana Thomas was turned into the Horseman of War, and in an effort to prevent this from happening, Ichabod Crane took the mantle temporarily before being freed.
- Current Human Identity: Logan MacDonald
- Horse: Black with red eyes
- Symbol: Scroll
- Weapons: Plague spreading bow and arrow (formerly), spear.
- Form: Samurai (or Hun)
- Current Human Identity: Jeremy Crane
- Former Human Identity: Ichabod Crane
- Intended Human Identity: Diana Thomas (happened in alternate timeline)
- Former Alias: Henry Parrish
- Horse: Red with flaming eyes and nostrils
- Symbol: Gun
- Weapon/s: Flaming Sword
- Form/s: Suit of Armor (formerly Viking or Knight in armor)
- Current Human Identity: Helen Donovan
- Horse: Pale with red eyes
- Symbol: Weighing Scales
- Weapon/s: Scythe
- Form: Cloaked (or hooded) with metal mask
- So far, Jeremy and Ichabod Crane are the only known individuals to be relieved of their position as a Horseman of the Apocalypse.
- With the return of Jeremy, however, this is the first indication of a former Horseman of the Apocalypse retaking a mantle.
- Chronologically, Conquest/Pestilence appears to be the oldest known member of Moloch's Four Horsemen, with Abraham being the second oldest and Jeremy having been the youngest known member.
- Interesting enough, all Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse have only been seen riding together outside of Ichabod's dream in season 1 or Lara's memories in the season 4 finale "Freedom".
- With both Moloch and Malcolm dead, the Four Horsemen pose no threat.
- However, as they are a force meant to symbolize the end of days, they may return should another villain make plans to include them.
- Because of the ambiguity of their powers, it is unknown what the Four Horsemen are truly capable of if brought together.
- In "Freedom", it's been shown that when all Four Horsemen ride together, they become more powerful, demonstrated by the fact that Death was able to walk in daylight without the normal consequences of doing so alone.
- The second season revealed that there is not a permanently-set person for each horseman, as there have been horsemen before Jeremy Crane became War, and there has been a replacement for him in the form of Ichabod Crane in the present and Agent Thomas in the alternate future. However, it is unknown just how many horsemen there have been throughout this history.
- Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse -Wikipedia page